Re: [TV] mirroring

In list.comp.tv, Russ wrote:

> The biggest concern on Andrews part is the mirror
> downloading loads of times ina single day.

To clarify, though, I don't mind being downloaded from me - my bandwidth
is (currently) plentiful. What *is* a concern is the impact on the
source websites.

> Say a script gets it automaticly once a day from but
> we do it in a way so Andrew releses his version then
> mirror one get s it from him, mirror 3 gets it from
> mirror 2 and mirror 4 gets it from mirror 3.

An interesting idea, but one of the things that the mirrors (although
that name's slightly misleading as I'll explain below) will have to
handle is downloading it from the source website themselves if it's
unavailable.

ie. something like:

    +--> bleb.org  -----+----+----> bbc.co.uk
    |       ^          /    /
    |       |         /    /
    |       |        /    /
    |       |       /    /
    |       |      /    /
    |       |     /    /
    |       |    /    /
    |    mirror1     /
    \       ^       /
     \      |      /
      \     |     /
       \    |    /
         mirror2

mirror1 would have to check bleb.org first, if unavailable, then go back
to the source.

mirror2, however, would first check bleb.org, then mirror1, then go
straight to the source.

If bandwidth were a problem on bleb.org then the behaviour of mirror2
could be to try mirror1 first, then bleb.org, then the source.

Cheers,

Andrew

--
Andrew Flegg -- mailto:andrew@xxxxxxxx  |  http://www.bleb.org/