From: Andrew Flegg [mailto:andrew@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of David
Greaves
Sent: 08 September 2004 17:15
To: tvdevel@xxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [TV] basic qusetion - ireland, listings, howto?

Provide a simple XML file using the XMLTV DTD

I'm not sure I understand why they don't do this - I'm hoping to find
out...

Certain satellite based services simply want a closed garden and they
probably can get that in the UK.
Others, I'm sure, would benefit from wider simpler distribution of this
information.

Is there really more money to be made by restricting customers from
seeing what shows are on when?

Or is it simply more 'obvious' to charge for the immediate content and
disgregard the second order effects of potentially higher viewing
figures? Certainly there are a few business models that work on
aggregating this kind of content and they wouldn't like to see it given
away for free. How important are they?

Since PVRs are a big drive for the need for epgs, there's probably a cut

in ad exposure which may be scaring them (until they can do product
placement etc etc)

Again, having said that, I understand that MS did a deal with the BBC/RT

to provide free EPG feed data - but only to users of XP Media Edition.

Interesting area :)

David