Re: [TV] Source code, GPL and licenses...

Andrew Flegg wrote:

In list.comp.tv, David wrote:
With the demise of the uk_rt grabber I expect there's going to be more demand on bleb.
Yay! Although I have seen scripts floating around which don't set the
user-agent, but use wget:

*** WARNING: I /WILL/ BLOCK THESE SCRAPERS. USING WGET, IT IS TRIVIAL TO FOLLOW THE RULES. NOT DOING SO IS A COMMENT ON
      HOW YOU VALUE YOUR TIME COMPARED WITH MINE... ***

Not that anyone monitoring this list would fall in to that category ;-)
And for those wondering - it's easy - I used this ages ago:
wget -q -O $tv_datafile -U 'wget_MythTV_script,personal - myth\@dgreaves.com' 'http://www.bleb.org/tv/data/listings.....

but I have to admit I jumped ship to get the wider range of channels that _rt provide(d) <blush/>

Can I first ask if Bleb is an open source project?
Yes, it is. Under the Artistic Licence. Unfortunately the source code
link doesn't seem to be on the front page (which needs a revamp,
suggestions welcome). The framework code can be download here:

   http://www.bleb.org/tv/code/

Documentation needs improving; volunteers?
Excellent :)

You've made my day!!

I've been thinking about this quite a bit recently and I'd love to get more involved. As usual timing sucks - I have a big second interview this week and then I'm on holiday next week :(

However I'll get the source and take a look.

I'm very interested in helping to develop the architecture to provide multiple servers. I know that bandwidth isn't an issue - but I have had occasional problems and it'd be nice to be resilient. It also may help to have more people involved to help fix backend grabber problems and share sysadmin tasks when you go on holiday etc.

I have other thoughts - [especially after Ed W's recent (insightful) comments into the use of XML. That sounded like a voice with experience ;) ] but I'll wait until I've digested the code.

David