Re: [TV] Limit to 10 channels in listings script?

On Sun, May 22, 2005 at 05:21:23PM +0100, Simon Huggins wrote:
> Using http://www.bleb.org/tv/data/listings (which incidentally I can't
> see in your tarball of source code - is it available anywhere?) it seems
> that at some point in the not so distant past the number of channels
> allowed has been reduced to 10.

The source code of the bulk download isn't available - for no specific
reason apart from it being highly specific and not very useful outside
of bleb.org

> Is this correct?  Should I just request 10 channels, then the 11th that
> I want and then merge them? :p

In the short term, if you want more than 10 channels: yes.

> More seriously, is this restriction there for a reason?

Yep, some badly written apps were released which didn't allow their
users to select the channels they were interested in; similarly they
didn't do anything clever about different days. This meant that the apps
in question fetched almost the entire data set. With the XSLT
translation to XMLTV this bogged down the server.

Part of the problem is the inefficient way the XMLTV is generated - it
was supplied unoptimised and, as I have no need for it myself[1], it
hasn't had much of my attention put on it.

At some point soon I hope to improve both the efficiency of the bulk
download in general, improve the speed of the XMLTV generation and
ensure that the XMLTV generated best implements the spec (eg. timezones
etc.)

When that's done, the limit will be relifted.

In the meantime, sorry for the inconvenience.

Hope that helps,

Andrew

--
Andrew Flegg -- mailto:andrew@xxxxxxxx  |  http://www.bleb.org/